Thursday, August 9, 2012

DIY: Embellished Camo Jacket




Hope everyone's having a wonderful week! Here's a quick DIY I did earlier this week to jazz up any piece of clothing. Here, I chose to use a camoflauge jacket that I found on Ebay. I've been searching high and low for the perfect oversized camo jacket, but I also wanted it to have a little jazz. I bought these vintage looking buttons from Michaels a long time ago and never knew what to do with them. So I thought embellishing my new camo jacket with them would be perfect. Then, I added spikes to the shoulders, in true Olivia style. And voilĂ , the perfect camo jacket with a little somthin' somethin'. Oh, and it's super easy, doesn't get better than that.

All you need is:
-Whatever piece of clothing you want to embellish
-Buttons, rhinestones or studs as embellishment, anything you want really
-Scissors or pliers
-Toothpicks
-Fabric glue, I found this jewel-it glue by Aleene's works best because it is specifically made for gluing little hard things on to fabric and stand up to multiple washings

So all I did was cut the little pieces sticking out from the back of the buttons, that are meant for sewing. Then I arranged how I wanted them to sit on the collar. I plopped a little glue onto some paper and used the toothpick to put some on the back of the buttons. Glue those babies on and let them sit for a few hours. This glue doesn't set right away, so be careful not to move the pieces around. The spikes I glued on as well, but they do come with screw backs (from studsandspikes.com). So once I figure out a good way to make holes in the fabric, then I'll probably screw them on because the spikes tend to be a little heavy and the glue might not hold up. But after it's dry, you're good to go!


 

2 comments:

  1. wow what a clever DIY project you are a genius!! Look forward to seeing you wear it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wo girl! it's amazing! I did a tutorial too about this for my diy's blog :) Wait your visit on my blog and have a nice week!! ^^

    http://itsmellslikeateenspirit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete